Cyber threats are serious. Successful attacks can damage your reputation and even your safety. Protecting your digital world from cyber threats and attacks is crucial, especially nowadays.
What are Cyber Threats?
Cyber threats are harmful or disruptive malicious attempts to a computer network or system. An accomplished cyber-attack can lead to unauthorized access gain, data theft, money loss, or business disruption.
Through advanced and sophisticated cybersecurity such as Sophos Intercept X, Sophos Cloud Security, and Sophos Firewalls, you can defend your computer networks, online accounts, and sensitive data from cyber hackers and criminals.
Why do Cyber Threats or Attacks Happen?
The motives of cyber-attacks vary, but commonly, they are either criminally or politically motivated. However, some hackers find satisfaction in bringing down computer networks or may just want to create problems. Cyber threats or attacks culprits can be disgruntled insiders, hostile nation-state actors, terrorist groups, corporate spies, hacktivists, and accidental actions of authorized users.
In most cases, cyber-attacks occur because attackers want business financial details, sensitive personal data, customer’s financial information such as credit card details, login credentials, customer databases, and the list goes on. That’s why having cybersecurity like Sophos Intercept X, Sophos Cloud Security, Sophos Firewalls, and Sophos Central can leave you at ease knowing that your digital assets and online accounts are protected.
What are the Types of Cyber Threats?
The most common forms of cyber threats include:
- Malware – This refers to malicious software on a device or network such as spyware, ransomware, viruses, and worms that corrupt data or take control of a system. When clicked by a user, malware gets activated. Malware can be in a form of a malicious link or attachment, resulting in the installation of spiteful software. Deploying Sophos Intercept X on your device offers the best ransomware protection to steer clear of malicious invasions.
- Spyware – Spyware is a kind of malware that installs itself on your device to secretly monitor your online activities in real-time and without your knowledge. Spyware can steal valuable information such as bank details and passwords, which can lead to money loss. To prevent a successful spyware attack, you may deploy Sophos Intercept X at your endpoints or Sophos Firewall for your network perimeter.
- Phishing – This practice sends fraudulent messages designed to trick the victim user into providing sensitive data such as personally identifiable information (PII), login credentials, and banking and credit card details. These messages, usually through email, seem to come from a legitimate source. With Sophos Email, phishing impostors and suspicious messages can be blocked, quarantined, tagged with a warning note, or notified with a banner added with a direct link to the user-level block list.
- Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) – This attack is an offensive attempt to disrupt a computer network by overwhelming the network with unnecessary requests to overburden the system, preventing valid requests to come through. The signs that your site or network is under DDoS attack, is when it suddenly becomes slow or unavailable. You can prevent packet-flood attacks by incorporating cutting-edge digital security, such as Sophos UTM and Sophos Firewall.
- Ransomware – This type of sophisticated malware attacks the weaknesses of a system through encryption to take data or system functionality hostage. Attackers will not release the system until the victim pays the demanded ransom. Sophos Intercept X for Endpoint and Server can help spot malicious behaviors, such as ransomware and fight it before it can even cause any damage.
- Man in the Middle (MITM) – This occurs when hackers inject themselves in the middle of two-party communication or transaction, enabling them to get information from the conversation. Devices that connect in an unsecured public Wi-Fi can be vulnerable to MITM attacks. Sophos Intercept X for Mobile can help mitigate the risk of MITM attacks.
- Structured Query Language (SQL) Injection – SQL injection uses code to attack data-driven applications to access information that isn’t intended to be revealed. When undetected, SQL injection can severely harm a business. Hackers may gain unauthorized access to particular information and databases which are valuable to any business. Sophos Firewall holds all the latest technology necessary to protect your network from the most advanced attacks, including SQL injection.
Importance of Cybersecurity to Fight Cyber Threats
Cybersecurity is highly significant nowadays. Having sophisticated cyber protection systems defends data and networks from cybercriminal attacks, preventing them from stealing valuable information that causes damages and gaining personal advantages.
There are several reasons why choose Sophos for your cyber security needs. A worldwide leader in next-generation cybersecurity, Sophos has been providing a wide range of online security solutions designed to accommodate different needs. It protects, detects, and responds to a broad spectrum of cyberattacks.
Want to avail cybersecurity products by Sophos? Wordtext Systems, Inc. is a trusted provider of Sophos products in the Philippines. For inquiries, call us at +63 2 8858 5555 or email email@example.com today!